domenica 19 maggio 2013

Tour: Afterlife Academy by Jaimie Admans * Interview+Give@way!

Interview with Jaimie Admans

I am so happy today to host the amazing Jaimie Admans for the release of her second
book, The Afterlife Academy! For those of you who didn't know Jaimie's first book, 
Kismetology, you can read my review here. Let's start with the questions !

1. I read, reviewed and LOVED your debut novel, Kismetology and now I see this book and I can not think about how different it looks from the first one. What inspired you in writing about a total different genre? 
To be honest, I don’t think they’re as worlds apart as they sound! I’ve always loved the chick-lit genre, that’s what got me started on writing and, of course, Kismetology is pure chick-lit. I started reading and loving young adult books a few years ago, and when I had a plot idea that fitted neatly into the YA genre, it wasn’t a huge jump for me to start writing that. They are both romantic comedies, the only difference is that the characters are younger in Afterlife Academy, and there’s the slight paranormal twist. I still (and hopefully always will) happily write in both genres as I do love them both!


2. Describe Afterlife Academy in one sentence.
It’s a paranormal romantic comedy about one girl’s journey into death-after-life as she learns that her perfect life wasn’t nearly as perfect as she thought it was.


3.What would you say the hardest part of writing this book was?
As usual, making myself sit down and write it rather than procrastinating and fiddling around on the internet all day! Procrastination is my worst habit, even if it’s something I want to write or a scene I’m really excited to get into, I still put off doing it until the last possible moment! The other hard part was getting the balance right with Riley. She’s the main character in Afterlife Academy and she starts off as a popular bully – a girl you love to hate. She grows throughout the book and becomes a much nicer person, but I was worried that I wasn’t balancing it out enough and readers might end up hating her rather than cheering her on as I hoped they would!


4.If you had to pick one character as your favorite, who would it be and why?
Anthony. He was originally intended to be a bit of a boring geek, but his character changed when I started writing him, and he became unexpectedly good fun and friendly. Riley changes her opinion of him over the course of the book and I did too. I actually never intended for their relationship to develop in quite the way it did but I enjoyed writing Anthony so much that he became a bigger character in the book than intended!


5. Do you like listening to music while writing? If yes, can you name a couple of songs that helped you while writing Afterlife Academy?
I need quiet to write in, so I don’t listen to music while writing as such, but there is a song that I consider the soundtrack to this book, and that’s I’m Alive by Aaron Tveit. It really summed up a lot of Riley’s feelings and thoughts and I listened to it a lot at the time I was writing the book!


6.What books have most influenced your life most?
Many. I grew up reading Enid Blyton, Judy Blume and Virginia Andrews, and all their stories made me want to pick up a pen and write like them. As I got older, I got into chick-lit like the Shopaholic series and Bridget Jones, but it was the book See Jane Date by Melissa Senate that made me really connect with a character and want to write a book like that. That’s what got me started writing chick-lit!


7. Who's your favourite author?
It’s hard to choose just one. I still adore everything Judy Blume has ever written – her books meant so much to me as a teenager and still do today. I still have my battered, tear-stained, dog-eared copy of Tiger Eyes I must’ve read a hundred times when I was thirteen!
And I will buy anything by Meg Cabot or Sophie Kinsella first thing on release day, I wouldn’t even need to read the blurb first!


8.What book are you reading now?
I’m currently reading The Forgotten Ones by Laura Howard, which is absolutely fantastic so far. I haven’t had much time for reading lately so it’s taking me ages but I’m enjoying it so much and can’t wait to get back to it!


9. Any other books in the works? Goals for future projects?
Yep, I’m currently editing a young adult romantic comedy, hopefully for release sometime this summer. I also have a YA Christmas novel coming out at the end of the year, and would love to get a festive chick-lit novella out too!


10. And for concluding, do you have any advice for other writers?
It doesn’t work for everybody, but write quick and messy first drafts – don’t edit them, don’t fiddle with them, just write them. When you’ve got a first draft, you can work on fixing it, but until then just write forwards until you reach the end. My first drafts are ugly, messy, and need so much editing, but if I went back and edited every sentence while I was writing it, I’d never have a finished draft at all. 
And ignore criticism – just because one person doesn’t like your book, it doesn’t mean everyone won’t. And on the same note, just because one person loves it, don’t expect everyone will, and don’t take negative reviews personally – everyone has different tastes!

Afterlife Academy
by Jaimie Admans

Even being dead isn’t enough to get you out of maths class.

Dying wasn't on sixteen-year-old Riley Richardson's to-do list. And now, not only is she dead, but she's stuck in a perpetual high school nightmare. Worse still, she's stuck there with the geekiest, most annoying boy in the history of the world, ever.

In a school where the geeks are popular and just about everything is wrong, Riley has become an outcast. She begins a desperate quest to get back home, but her once-perfect life starts to unravel into something not nearly as great as she thought it was. And maybe death isn’t really that bad after all...

Welcome to Afterlife Academy, where horns are the norm, the microwave is more intelligent than the teachers, and the pumpkins have a taste for blood.




The Author



Jaimie is a 28-year-old English-sounding Welsh girl with an awkward-to-spell name. She lives in South Wales and enjoys writing, gardening, drinking tea and watching horror movies. She hates spiders and cheese & onion crisps.
She has been writing for years but has never before plucked up the courage to tell people.
Afterlife Academy is her third novel and she hopes you enjoy it. There are plenty more on the way!






The Giveaway!

Open Internationally!

1 commento:

 
Images by Freepik