martedì 8 dicembre 2020

Review: Double Deceit by Julienne Brouwers

Double Deceit  

Published: November 23rd 2020
Publisher: Aria / Head of Zeus
Number of pages: 274
Format: eBook
Source: Received from publisher
PurchaseAmazonB&NTBD

From Goodreads:
Jennifer is a young mother, married to a hotshot lawyer and living in Amsterdam. Her world explodes when her husband is found dead at a holiday park during a weekend getaway. Convinced that the police have failed in their investigation, she embarks on a desperate quest for the truth - but the deeper she digs, the more she gets enmeshed in a tangled web of lies, spun by a ruthless law firm.

As Jennifer's search for answers intensifies, her grip on reality weakens. Barely able to manage her patients at the health clinic, or take care of her young son, Jennifer is at risk of losing it all – even her closest friends begin to desert her. And then a chance encounter with a charming stranger sparks a new chain of events that plunges her deeper into a world of threats and corruption. Soon, she begins to fear for her life - but who can she trust, and how far will she go in pursuit of the truth?

This is a gripping, addictive thriller for fans of Angela Clarke, Mel Sherratt and Rachel Lynch, that will make you question everything, including the flaws of forensics.
Could we all be framed for a murder we didn’t commit?

My Review

I was really excited to take up this review opportunity as I rarely receive requests for thrillers, and it is actually one of my favorite genres - and one that I easily rate higher!
Julienne Brouwers' Double Deceit was certainly a good discovery for me and a great surprise, as I was not expecting neither the complexity of the plot, not the maturity of the author's style.

The story starts with a high-suspense scene: Tim, Jennifer and Oliver's son, is missing - and there I was already holding my breath from the first lines. And as soon as Tim was found and as I started breathing again, Oliver dies: useless to underline that the author obviously had my attention from the start. But I soon realised that the story was not going to be as fast-paced as its starting point, but more of a slow-burner. Julienne takes all the care needed to carry on her thriller, focusing at the same time on its world-building and characters developing. I loved how descripive the author was of Jennifer's surroundings, as I had been in Amsterdam and could easily picture Vondelpark and the nearby residential quarters. I could feel it all: Amsterdam constant drizzle, the silent passing of its several trams and the cozy coffee shops and bars lining the streets. It was funny to see her protagonist, Jennifer, driving all around town with her bike - even with heels on! - as I could picture her vividly, bikes being  the main means of trasportation in Amsterdam. 

Speaking of the characters, they were all very complete and each had a specific role in the story. I really liked the protagonist, as the author carefully presented her with all her flaws and merits, giving us a satisying balance that made her quite relatable. I was amazed by how she managed to face a lot of unforeseeable situations, and at the same time I was glad that the author did not exceed in presenting her too much as an heroine, making her struggle with everyday occupations such as taking care of her child or attending work. The fact that we get to experience deeply also Jennifer's relationships with her friends, family and co-workers helps in creating a bond between the reader and all of the characters of the book. 

What I would have prefered to have in this book though is a little more action, or better, for the action to be distributed better during the narration. The focal point of the thriller being introduced within its first 30%, we had to wait until the last part of the book to have some more answers, resulting in a finale that maybe was a little rushed, considering all the space and care that the author took to develop her story. The answer to the thriller itself was quite satisfying though, as the author definitely managed to get me off the rails! Let's be clear, there was no surprising finale, but at least the general atmosphere of distrust was so strong, that in the end I doubted everyone but the person who actually committed the deal.

So, all things considered, I feel like giving this book a little less than four stars, but with the promise that I will be checking out for this author for new, more gripping stories!

Rated 3.7

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

 
Images by Freepik