mercoledì 10 marzo 2021

Review: Caraval (Caraval #1) by Stephanie Garber

Caraval
Caraval #1

Published: First Published January 31st 2017
Publisher: Flatiron Books
Number of pages: 432
Format: eBook
Source: Bought
PurchaseAmazonB&NTBD

From Goodreads:
Scarlett Dragna has never left the tiny island where she and her sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval—the faraway, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show—are over.

But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt-of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. Nevertheless she becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic.

My Review

To write a review about Caraval, it’s an hard job. I approached this book with so many expectations and it felt like I was waiting to read it for ages. I got pushed by a group of lovely bookstagrammers that decided to organise a group read, and finally, I got my chance to start this new series. But the journey, didn’t go exactly like planned.

I took up and abandoned this book countless times and I noticed that my group did the same. It was hard to focus on the story and even though I really liked the author’s writing style, it didn’t manage to catch my attention: a few pages of the book, and I felt full-loaded. If I try to investigate the reasons for this reject, I am not sure. Probably, the book had all the premises to become a favorite for me - a magical world, an adventurous plot and a bit of romance – but they were all exploited mediocrely. 

The book starts with some letters exchanged between Scarlett (also, why translate Scarlett into Rossella and leave Donatella as it is?!) and the Master of Caraval, who after years, finally invites the Dragna sisters to come to his island. As soon as they landed, I immediately expected all the magic this book should have contained to run wild, but it actually never did, or at least, not as fiercely as I thought. Slowly, I started to realize that Caraval was not imbued with the kind of magic I was hoping for, but more likely with a dark power that hinted at something awful happening in its lands. Tessa Dragna, indeed, disappears and becomes the prize for a treasure hunt that rekindled my spirits, but even there, I was disappointed shortly after. Scarlett should have followed 4 (or 5, I don’t remember well) clues that she should have found progressively along her adventure, each clue coming from a magical trial or something like it… but if I have to be sincere, I can’t remember accurately how she came to get some of those clues and therefore find her sister in the end. Basically, I’m saying that what was supposed to be the main structure of this adventure, all became kind of blurred.  I would have preferred for the author to focus more clearly on this hunt that saw Scarlett as a protagonist and have more scanned passages about what she was supposed to do each time to get her clue.

Another thing that I didn’t like particularly, is the fact that a lot of mysterious hints are given throughout all the book about several matters – the Master of Caraval’s identity, Julian’s link to him, the involvement of the Dragna family and the identity of Scarlett’s bethroted – that all contributed in widening my confusion about the whole novel. I am sure that all these questions will be answered in the following books, but even the few answers we receive at the end of this book were rushed up and not very clear to me. 

So it’s a pity that I couldn’t get attached to the plot much, because the author’s style and intention certainly were great! I loved her descriptive skills and one thing I noticed and enjoyed is how she associates colours to emotions. I could clearly picture Caraval with its streets and castles and balconies and beautiful, magical dresses and that is exactly why I would have loved to get more of this world who had the fortune of being pictured by such a talented storyteller.

Today, when I think about Caraval I think about a wide magical cloud hanging above my head and messing with my judgement: I was not enthusiastic about it, but I’m not going to give up on the series either. I am sure that there is more to discover about this world in the next installments and I’m going to give Stephanie Garber another chance, just not in the immediate future! 

Rated 2.5

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

 
Images by Freepik