martedì 19 gennaio 2021

Review: Betrayed (The Chronicles of Luxor Everstone #2) by Jacklyn Daher

 Betrayed

Chronicles of Luxor Everstone #2

Published: 19th November 2020
Publisher: Independently Published
Format: eARC
Source: Received from author
PurchaseAmazon

From Goodreads

"Betrayal is like a snake; either it slithers and blindsides you, or the attack will be so swift, you’ll be struck before you could blink. Either way, prepare to suffer.”

With the revelation Luxor Everstone is the daughter of the Prince of Darkness, an entirely new door fraught with danger is opened. As Cane lays in wait, Luxor is forced to have constant protection, leaving her suffocated.

When new help arrives in the form of a witch, and a mysterious and dreamy boy who seems to soothe her more than anyone else can, she doesn’t hesitate to invite them into her life despite her growing affection for Hunter.

As fresh dangers loom on the horizon, she begins to unravel different details about her past, while greater powers are introduced, and the others continue to evolve. Conflicted between the pull toward her darkness and her desire to be good, Luxor juggles the priorities—and her opinionated guardians—while trying to find some semblance of balance.

When the darkness returns to claim her completely, can she trust herself to make the right choice?

My Review

Betrayed is the second installment in the Chronicles of Luxor Everstone series so if you haven't, check out my review of the first book here.

Unveiled had a lot of things that left me puzzled and unsatisfied, the main thing being the author not giving enough space to the supernatural world, at least according to my expectations. I found the whole book to revolve mainly around the protagonist, Luxor, surviving a new city, an infernal new high-school and then eventually some strange super-powers she did not understand. But Betrayed showed so many improvements! There is definitely a lot more going on in this book and it is evident how the author dedicated more space to explore the supernatural world that we just glimpsed in book #1. I believe that Betrayed actually met my expectations because finally, there was the perfect dose of action and occult , without however loosing the humor and tenderness that characterizes Luxor and her friends' human life. If you by any chance watch "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Spellman",  you might have an idea of what I'm talking about! Luxor is sarcastic, strong yet fragile; she is certainly not a normal girl and she has strong supernatural responsabilities, yet she also struggles with everyday problems like feeling alone and wanting to find the perfect guy... but don't get me wrong! Luxor is no witch!

In the first book, I actually did not like her particulary since I hated how she refused to accept her destiny and tried endlessly to deny what she was. In book number two, though, she has finally come to terms with her surroundings and she finally shows the reader how difficult it is to cope with such a great deal at such a young age. This more human and tender approach to the protagonist certainly earned a lot of points from my part. Truth said, I liked all the characters better in this book and I discovered that I really have a bond with them, to the point that I felt familiar in their world and I can't wait to discover what happens next in their story! Friendship in this book is explored in every single way and the attention the author took in exploring the characters' different relationships certainly links the reader to them.

And what about that ending?? All my reviews all spoiler free so I won't tell anything about it but DAMN. I love authors who take brave decisions and Jacklyn Daher certainly has. Not all stories have happy endings right?

So this book was a major surprise for me! I aknowledge and praise all the improvements the author and the story have made and I just sit and wait patiently for the third chapter in this series!

Rated 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

 
Images by Freepik